Monday, July 7, 2008

Chaucer Elementary

Getting the opportunity to visit Chaucer Elementary School today was such a great experience. I really didn't know what to expect before I went to the school but there were definitely both some striking differences and also some similarities to US schools.

There are only 7 classes at Chaucer with 7 empty rooms in the building. A new Chaucer is currently being built and will be up and running by next September. The morning began with an assembly with the whole school present. The principle talked about sports and the importance of coaches. The children all raised their hands and said why a coach is important to athletes. The whole school then said a prayer and thanked God for giving them coaches in the world to help athletes stay mentally and physically strong.

The second grade classroom that I was a part of was a great experience! The children were SO polite and well mannered. They held a "hot seat" session in which they asked me questions about what schooling was like in America and any other questions that they had. We all had a very fun time with it and the children were very interested in what I had to say. Especially the part about how US children don't have to wear uniforms to school. One boy, Jai, had a particular question for me that I thought was funny. He asked me if I spoke English. I said of course I do that's why we're talking right now and understanding each other. Then he was like "I don't think you do because you sound funny."

Hilarious.


The day was an overall great experience and I'm so glad that I had this opportunity. I can't wait to go back tomorrow and see the school play that they are putting on!


Cheers,
Tara

No comments: