Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Inquiry 3 thoughts and today's activities

Today I was fortunate to attend some technology seminars put on by the Year 2 students here at Plymouth. They were great and very informative! Today I learned how to make an iPortfolio, how to incorporate gaming into my lessons, and also how to use Jive to do some screen capturing. Overall, it was a great day and I feel that I learned so much about different technologies that I can use in my classroom next year!

My thoughts about my inquiry #3 project are still in the process of developing fully, but I'm pretty sure I have an idea of what I want to do. I am focusing on the aspect of freedom within the UK culture compared to the US culture. I think its very interesting how some individuals in the UK that I've noticed have a seemingly carefree lifestyle; a seemingly large sense of freedom. The US is known as being "the land of the free" yet our lifestyles in America reflect that of regiment, routine, being quick-paced, and more restricted than of the UK lifestyle. This even seems apparent to me in the few schools that I observed. The schooling is reflected primarily on the students' choice (mostly in secondary school). There are numerous routes that a student can take if academics isn't for them, for example, they can always choose a vocational route in their schooling. I have also noticed other various activities, like tombstoning, teens are able to do these dangerous jumps without being reprimanded by their parents. It's a very interesting contrast to America where teens are seemingly constantly being monitored by their parents.

From what I've noticed, the UK has a more laid back lifestyle compared to the US. I'm anxious to look further into my experiences here on this trip to reflect on this concept for my project.


Cheers,
Tara

No comments: